DDR Advanced Course on Reintegration
Start date: 30 Jun 2014 8:00am | End date: 09 Jul 2014 9:00pm
Overall Course Aim
The course, through building individual skills, aims at enhancing the capacity and effectiveness of UN, Regional, Sub-regional, National and other institutions to perform peace operations by providing participants with a comprehensive conceptual and operational level understanding of the principles procedures and up to date practices involved in the planning, coordination and conduct of DDR programmes , properly reflecting new developments involved in the field of DDR.
1. Understand the concepts, policies and strategies of Reintegration;
2. Identify the problematic components, activities and other issues related to Reintegration;
3. Identify the different actors and institutions involved in Reintegration;
4. Acquire practical skills necessary when working on Reintegration;
The target group of this course will be planners and implementers of Ex-Combatants (XC) reintegration programmes in Africa, including personnel from the following organisations:
1. National DDR Commissions.
2. UN country missions, UN IAWG-DDR.
3. ECOWAS, AU and other regional bodies.
4. Development organizations working on XCs/ Community reintegration.
5. Line ministries/government departments/agencies involved with reintegration programmes.
6. Relevant NGOs/Civil Society Organisations, Universities and academic institutions actively participating or supporting DDR programmes in conflict-affected or post-conflict African countries.
This course mostly targets personnel who are involved in reintegration processes of DDR. Applicants are required to have at least one of the criteria listed below:
1. Possess at least one year experience in DDR or DDR related work.
2. Must be currently involved in DDR practice work.
3. Must be working closely with DDR practitioners in any conflict-affected or post-conflict African country.
4. Has attended a DDR foundation course.
All applicants are to have a working knowledge of the English language, both written and oral skills since the course will only be delivered in English. In addition, the application form must be completed in English.
The Problem-Based Learning approach, suitable for adult learning, will be used in the delivery of the course and participants will be required to play an active role under the guidance of an experienced team of facilitators. The course content will thus be delivered using a combination of approaches such as lectures, case study, small group work, exercises and simulation among others.
1. Course capacity – 30 participants.
2. KAIPTC residential accommodation for all participants.
3. Facilitation team will be composed of resource persons from KAIPTC, UNDP, DPKO, AU, ILO, Transition International etc.
4. Estimated budget cost will be covered by the GIZ support project at the Centre.
5. Successful applicants will be expected to pay a commitment fee of USD 500 at least 3 weeks before the course assembles. (This fee is non-refundable).
6. Participants will be responsible for their travel expenses.
7. Participants coming from UN/AU missions will be required to make a 15-20 minutes presentation on the reintegration programme in their missions.
Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC)
For more information about the course please visit www.kaiptc.org
Invitation DDR Advanced Course on Reintegration